Careers at Edward Elgar Publishing
Job opportunities and locations:
Camberley, Surrey, UK
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, UK
Northampton, Massachusetts, USA
If you can offer editorial, proofreading or indexing skills and have a background in academic publishing, we would love to hear from you. Please send your CV and details to [email protected].
Departments in our Camberley office include Editorial Processing and Production
Camberley is located 30 miles southwest of central London in the corridor between the M3 and M4 motorways. The office has parking and is convenient for shops and Camberley Rail Station which is 0.6 miles/ a 10 minute walk away.
We are looking for a graduate who can demonstrate an interest in book publishing to join our busy editorial and production team. The successful candidate will liaise with editors, production staff and suppliers to ensure the smooth running of the editorial production office. Good digital, communication and organizational skills, along with computer literacy, are essential requirements. You will need to be careful and methodical as well as flexible and adaptable. Benefits include: season ticket loans, cycle-to-work scheme, childcare voucher scheme, group personal pension scheme, long-term disability insurance scheme and an employee assistance programme.
Routine duties of the Publishing Assistant include:
• Checking finished books
• Cleaning digital files using Photoshop software
• Checking digital files
• Checking metadata spreadsheets
• Uploading digital files
• Estimating page extents of books using Excel spreadsheets
• Creating and updating records on production database
• Liaison with editorial and production staff
• Liaison with suppliers/freelancers
• Answering the telephone
• Back-up reception duties
• Undertaking other tasks required to ensure the smooth running of the editorial production office
The above is not an exhaustive list and the duties in the job description may be revised following discussion between the Publishing Assistant, the Head of Editorial Services and the Head of Production Services.
This is a full time position, working 35 hours per week, based in our offices in Camberley, Surrey, UK.
To apply, please submit a covering letter and CV to: [email protected]
Salary: in the region of £18,000 per annum, dependent on experience.
Closing date for applications: Friday 5th April 2019
Functions in Cheltenham include Commissioning, Editorial, Marketing, Finance and IT.
Cheltenham is a town in the west of England famous for its arts festivals and historic architecture. Our offices are located close to the fashionable Montpellier area with its boutique shops, restaurants and bars. The office has parking although many staff commute by bicycle. Cheltenham train station is 0.6 miles / a 10 minute walk away.
Currently no vacancies.
Sales Representative – Southern, Central & Western US
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an ambitious, enthusiastic professional to join the US sales team at Edward Elgar Publishing, an award winning independent scholarly publisher. The Sales Representative will be responsible for promoting digital collections of high-quality titles in the areas of Law, Business & Management, Economics, and the Social Sciences and increasing our US customer base and revenue in North American academic libraries.
• Proactively identify sales opportunities and contact prospective customers
• Develop and maintain relationships with academic librarians
• Manage sales cycles and negotiate with buyers in the library environment
• Provide demonstrations and support for libraries and researchers
• Travel frequently to visit libraries at higher education institutions
• Maintain customer records, input, update, and track all leads
• Manage accounts, provide support and troubleshooting
• Prepare sales and progress reports as needed
• Achieve or exceed annual sales targets
• Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Excellent communication skills – oral and written
• Keen interest in publishing sales and the academic market
• Self-motivation with ability to work independently
• Personable phone manner
• Two or more years of experience in direct sales, or in a publishing, library, or educational setting
• Experience presenting and product demonstration
• Awareness of digital library resources and systems
• Fluent with Microsoft Office Suite, FileMaker experience a plus
The position may be worked remotely, for the right candidate, or based at the company’s offices in Northampton, MA, and offers an exciting opportunity to join an award-winning family business in international publishing.
This sales representative will be responsible for selling into higher education libraries in the following US territories:
Pacific: Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington
West Central: Iowa, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming
Southwest: Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas
East Central: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin
Southeast: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia
Competitive base salary and bonus structure, commensurate with experience.
Benefits include: Health, Dental, 401K
If you wish to be considered, please forward a resume and cover letter noting salary requirements in Word or PDF format to:
Attn: Sales Dept
Edward Elgar Publishing Inc.
9 Dewey Ct
Northampton, MA 01060
About our company:
Edward Elgar Publishing was founded in 1986 and is renowned for publishing innovative, original and high quality work in law and the social sciences. In addition to the Northampton office it has offices in Cheltenham and in Camberley, UK.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability status, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.